Shete Boka Park
Shete Boka Park
Shete Boka Park, since 1994, 200 hectares.
This is an area adjoining the Christoffelpark covering more than 10 kilometers of the rocky wave-exposed north coast of the island and with some 10 pocket beaches where 3 species of sea turtles are known to lay eggs.
The most well-known and favorite inlet for visitors is Boka Tabla.
If you enjoy getting off the beaten track and into rugged countryside, you will love National Park Shete Boka. The park begins at stunning Boka Tabla, where huge waves thunder into an underground cavern. Steps cut into the rocks lead you directly into the mouth of the cavern; you can sit on the very edge and watch the surf roll in. After you peek inside the cavern you can walk along the limestone bluffs above for a spectacular view of Curacaos rugged north coast.
A dirt road, accessible by jeep, leads from Boka Tabla across the desolate north coast to six smaller inlets: Boka Wandomi, Boka Kortalein, Boka Plate, Boka Mansalina, Boka Djegu and Dos Boka.
These inlets are protected turtle breeding areas and lie inside the park.
In addition, there are two hiking trails namely:
1) Boka Pistol Trail: includes a 1 hour walk leading through Boka Brown where sea turtles come ashore to lay their eggs, Boka Pistol where huge waves burst into the sky with gunfire like explosions and panoramic overviews from the flat limestone hills.
2) Boka Wandomi Trail: a 1 hour walk along rolling lava hills down to Boka Wandomi and the limestone bluffs to a natural bridge. A short walk along the rugged north coast will bring you back to Boka Tabla.
Mondays to Sunday: 09:00 – 16.00 (No admittance after 16:00)
* Enter after 16:00 at your own risk!
*IMPORTANT: In connection with asphalting work on Weg naar Westpunt, the following:
- March 20th and 21st: Weg naar Westpunt will be closed from 7am to 5pm.
- March 27th 28th: Weg naar Westpunt will be closed from 7am to 5pm.
- Detour routes will be marked
- Shete Boka National Park and Christoffel National Park (country house Savonet) will remain accessible through Westpunt, this will also be indicated by the detour signs.
- March 29th: the first section will be paved towards Shete Boca National Park.
- April 3rd: initiation of implementation of asphalt milling in Savonet.
Entrance to the park costs Naf. 10 per person (US$5.50) and maps are also available at the entrance.
Locals have a special entrance fee of Naf. 3 per person. To obtain for this fee, it is required to show a valid sedula or any other valid identification document.